1 Which particles have approximately the same
(1) alpha particle and beta particle
(2) alpha particle and proton
(3) neutron and positron
(4) neutron and proton
2 Which phrase describes an atom?
(1) a negatively charged nucleus surrounded by
positively charged protons
(2) a negatively charged nucleus surrounded by
positively charged electrons
(3) a positively charged nucleus surrounded by
negatively charged protons
(4) a positively charged nucleus surrounded by
negatively charged electrons
3 An orbital is defined as a region of the most
probable location of
(1) an electron (3) a nucleus
(2) a neutron (4) a proton
4 The bright-line spectrum of an element in the
gaseous phase is produced as
(1) protons move from lower energy states to
higher energy states
(2) protons move from higher energy states to
lower energy states
(3) electrons move from lower energy states to
higher energy states
(4) electrons move from higher energy states to
lower energy states
5 An atom of lithium-7 has an equal number of
(1) electrons and neutrons
(2) electrons and protons
(3) positrons and neutrons
(4) positrons and protons
6 In which type of chemical reaction do two or
more reactants combine to form one product,
(3) single replacement
(4) double replacement
7 Which statement explains why neon is a Group 18
(1) Neon is a gas at STP.
(2) Neon has a low melting point.
(3) Neon atoms have a stable valence electron
(4) Neon atoms have two electrons in the first
8 Which element has chemical properties that are
most similar to the chemical properties of
(1) boron (3) neon
(2) chlorine (4) oxygen
9 What occurs as two atoms of fluorine combine
to become a molecule of fluorine?
(1) A bond is formed as energy is absorbed.
(2) A bond is formed as energy is released.
(3) A bond is broken as energy is absorbed.
(4) A bond is broken as energy is released.
10 What is the number of pairs of electrons that are
shared between the nitrogen atoms in a molecule
of N 2?
(1) 1 (3) 3
(2) 2 (4) 6
11 Which set of values represents standard
pressure and standard temperature?
(1) 1 atm and 101.3 K
(2) 1 kPa and 273 K
(3) 101.3 kPa and 0°C
(4) 101.3 atm and 273°C
12 Which statement about one atom of an element
identifies the element?
(1) The atom has 1 proton.
(2) The atom has 2 neutrons.
(3) The sum of the number of protons and
neutrons in the atom is 3.
(4) The difference between the number of
neutrons and protons in the atom is 1.
13 A substance is classified as either an element or a
(3) heterogeneous mixture
(4) homogeneous mixture
14 A solid element that is malleable, a good
conductor of electricity, and reacts with oxygen
is classified as a
(1) metal (3) noble gas
(2) metalloid (4) nonmetal
15 Three forms of energy are
(1) chemical, exothermic, and temperature
(2) chemical, thermal, and electromagnetic
(3) electrical, nuclear, and temperature
(4) electrical, mechanical, and endothermic
16 What is the total amount of heat required to
vaporize 1.00 gram of H2O(ℓ) at 100.°C and
(1) 4.18 J (3) 373 J
(2) 334 J (4) 2260 J
17 What is required for a chemical reaction to
(1) standard temperature and pressure
(2) a catalyst added to the reaction system
(3) effective collisions between reactant particles
(4) an equal number of moles of reactants and
18 Which compound is soluble in water?
(1) PbS (3) Na 2S
(2) BaS (4) Fe 2S 3
19 Compared to a 26-gram sample of NaCl(s) at
STP, a 52-gram sample of NaCl(s) at STP has
(1) a different density
(2) a different gram-formula mass
(3) the same chemical properties
(4) the same volume
20 A gas changes directly to a solid during
(1) fusion (3) saponification
(2) deposition (4) decomposition
21 The phase of a sample of a molecular substance
at STP is not determined by its
(1) arrangement of molecules
(2) intermolecular forces
(3) number of molecules
(4) molecular structure
22 Which atom has the weakest attraction for
electrons in a chemical bond?
(1) a boron atom (3) a fluorine atom
(2) a calcium atom (4) a nitrogen atom
23 Which statement describes a chemical reaction
(1) The products are completely consumed in
(2) The reactants are completely consumed in
(3) The concentrations of the products and
reactants are equal.
(4) The concentrations of the products and
reactants are constant.
24 Which element has atoms that can bond to each
other in rings and networks?
(1) aluminum (3) hydrogen
(2) carbon (4) oxygen
25 In an oxidation-reduction reaction, the total
number of electrons lost is
(1) equal to the total number of electrons
(2) equal to the total number of protons gained
(3) less than the total number of electrons
(4) less than the total number of protons gained
26 Which compounds are electrolytes?
(1) C 2H 5OH and H 2SO 4
(2) C 2H 5OH and CH 4
(3) KOH and H 2SO 4
(4) KOH and CH 4
27 Which compounds yield hydrogen ions as the
only positive ions in an aqueous solution?
(1) H 2CO 3 and HC 2H 3O 2
(2) H 2CO 3 and NaHCO 3
(3) NH 3 and HC 2H 3O 2
(4) NH 3 and NaHCO 3
28 Nuclei of U-238 atoms are
(1) stable and spontaneously absorb alpha
(2) stable and spontaneously emit alpha particles
(3) unstable and spontaneously absorb alpha
(4) unstable and spontaneously emit alpha
29 Which nuclear emission has the greatest
(1) proton (3) gamma radiation
(2) beta particle (4) positron
30 The dating of geological formations is an example
of a beneficial use of
(3) organic compounds
(4) radioactive nuclides