1 Which two characteristics do all Jovian planets
have in common?
(1) small diameters and low densities
(2) small diameters and high densities
(3) large diameters and low densities
(4) large diameters and high densities
2 Which event occurred approximately 4.6 billion
(1) evolution of the earliest fish
(2) evolution of stromatolites
(3) formation of the oldest known Earth rocks
(4) formation of Earth and our solar system
3 Which process combines lighter elements into
heavier elements and produces energy within
the Sun and other stars?
(1) fusion (3) conduction
(2) insolation (4) radioactive decay
4 Which evidence best supports the Big Bang
(1) rate of rotation of the Sun
(2) existence of cosmic background radiation
(3) uniform radioactive decay of uranium-238
(4) separation of Earth’s interior into different
5 Which star has a surface temperature most
similar to the surface temperature of Alpha
(1) Polaris (3) Procyon B
(2) Betelgeuse (4) Sirius
6 The red shift of light from most galaxies is
(1) most galaxies are moving away from Earth
(2) a majority of stars in most galaxies are red
(3) the light slows down as it nears Earth
(4) red light travels faster than other colors of
7 Which motion causes some constellations to be
visible in New York State only during winter
nights and other constellations to be visible only
during summer nights?
(1) Stars in constellations revolve around Earth.
(2) Stars in constellations revolve around the Sun.
(3) Earth revolves around the Sun.
(4) Earth rotates on its axis.
8 Sediment samples A through D below have the
same volume and packing, but contain different
percentages of various particle sizes.
Sample A: 75% clay and 25% silt
Sample B: 25% clay and 75% sand
Sample C: 50% pebbles and 50% sand
Sample D: 50% pebbles and 50% cobbles
Which sample most likely has the greatest
(1) A (3) C
(2) B (4) D
9 Most of Earth’s weather events take place in the
(1) thermosphere (3) stratosphere
(2) mesosphere (4) troposphere
10 The diagram below represents a weather
Which weather variable was this instrument
designed to measure?
(1) air pressure
(3) relative humidity
(4) amount of precipitation
11 Jet stream winds over the United States generally
(1) east to west (3) north to south
(2) west to east (4) south to north
12 What is the dewpoint when the dry-bulb
temperature is 8°C and the wet-bulb temperature
(1) 28°C (3) 3°C
(2) 6°C (4) Ϫ9°C
13 The cross section below represents prevailing
winds moving over a coastal mountain range.
Letters A through D represent locations on
Which location will most likely have the least
(1) A (3) C
(2) B (4) D
14 Which transfer of energy occurs mainly through
the process of convection?
(1) electromagnetic energy transferred from the
Sun to the Moon
(2) solar energy transferred through space to
(3) heated air in the lower atmosphere transferred
upward by density differences
(4) heat from radioactive decay transferred by
molecular collisions to surrounding mantle
15 In which planetary wind belt do most storms
move toward the northeast?
(1) 30° N to 60° N (3) 0° to 30° S
(2) 0° to 30° N (4) 30° S to 60° S