1 The theory that the universe is expanding is
supported by data from the
(1) nuclear decay of radioactive materials
(2) nuclear fusion of radioactive materials
(3) blue shift of light from distant galaxies
(4) red shift of light from distant galaxies
2 The photograph below shows a feature of the
universe as seen through a telescope.
This feature is best identified as
(1) a galaxy (3) an asteroid
(2) a comet (4) a star
3 Fourteen billion years represents the approximate
(1) Earth (3) our solar system
(2) Earth’s Moon (4) the universe
4 Which terms describe the motion of most
objects in our solar system?
(1) noncyclic and unpredictable
(2) noncyclic and predictable
(3) cyclic and unpredictable
(4) cyclic and predictable
5 Which planet has completed less than one orbit
of the Sun in the last 100 years?
(1) Mars (3) Neptune
(2) Mercury (4) Uranus
6 Compared to the size and density of Earth,
the Moon has a
(1) smaller diameter and lower density
(2) smaller diameter and higher density
(3) larger diameter and lower density
(4) larger diameter and higher density
7 In the Northern Hemisphere, planetary winds
are deflected to the right due to the
(1) Doppler effect
(2) Coriolis effect
(3) tilt of Earth’s axis
(4) uneven heating of Earth’s surface
8 Which event is inferred to have contributed to
the significant global climate change that may
have caused the mass extinctions of organisms at
the end of the Late Cretaceous Epoch?
(1) the Big Bang
(2) an asteroid impact
(3) formation of Pangaea
(4) shifting of Earth’s magnetic poles
9 The diagram below represents the placoderm
fish Bothriolepis, an index fossil found in
New York State.
The surface bedrock at which location is most
likely to contain this fossil?
(1) Ithaca (3) Albany
(2) Old Forge (4) New York City
10 The geologic cross section below includes an
unconformity and an igneous intrusion.
Which two events produced the geologic
unconformity in the rock record?
(1) intrusion of magma, followed by contact
(2) intrusion of magma, followed by erosion of
(3) erosion of rock layers, followed by deposition
of more sediments
(4) erosion of rock layers, followed by intrusion
11 Which map best represents the surface
wind pattern around Northern Hemisphere
high-pressure and low-pressure centers?
12 What is the dewpoint when the dry-bulb
temperature is 12°C and the wet-bulb temperature
(1) 1°C (3) 28°C
(2) Ϫ5°C (4) 48°C
13 The station model below shows some weather
conditions at a location on Earth’s surface.
Which present weather symbol represents the
most likely type of precipitation occurring at this
14 In which atmospheric temperature zone does
most precipitation occur?
(1) thermosphere (3) stratosphere
(2) mesosphere (4) troposphere
15 Which tectonic feature is associated with a
complex or uncertain plate boundary?
(1) Southwest Indian Ridge
(2) East African Rift
(3) Mariana Trench
(4) Galapagos Hot Spot