Home > Contributions > Math Puzzle & Brain Teaser > Print Preview
Puzzles & Brain Teasers
The Best Fortune Teller
Contributed by Andrew Kim
Hide all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
There is a village that has five fortune tellers.
The first fortune teller's prediction has 78 % chance of being correct. The second has 58 % chance of being correct, the third 42 %, the fourth 28 %, and the fifth 9 %.
If you were trying to get the best prediction of your future, which fortune teller would you go to?
The fifth fortune teller would allow you to get the best prediction of your future.
The fifth fortune teller predicts with only 9 % accuracy. So, there is a 91 % chance of the fifth fortune teller being wrong.
If you consider the opposite of the fifth fortune teller's predictions, then you get the prediction of your future with 91 % accuracy. This is higher than the accuracy of the other four fortune tellers.
Try the Quiz : The Best Fortune Teller