Home > English Proverbs > Print Preview
Hide all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
|What is the missing word that completes each proverb?|
1. Want is the _______ of industry.
2. The way to a man's heart is through his _______.
3. We are all _______ of opinion.
4. We get what we deserve not what we _______.
5. We soon _______ what we desire.
6. The _______ goes to the wall.
7. What can you expect from a _______ but a grunt?
8. What _______ little is little esteemed.
9. What is a workman without his _______?
10. What is bred in the _______ will never come out of the flesh.
11. What's yours is _______, and what's mine is my own.
12. What man has _______, man can do.
13. What may be done at _______ time is done at no time.
14. What _______ be must be.
15. What one _______ on the swings, one makes up on the roundabouts.
16. What soberness conceals, _______ reveals.
17. What the eye doesn't see, the _______ doesn't grieve over.
18. When in _______, do nowt.
19. When the wolf comes in at the door, love creeps out of the _______.
20. When the word is out, it _______ to another.
21. When _______ fall out, honest men come by their own.
22. Where _______ is bliss, it is folly to be wise.
23. Where there's _______, there's brass.
24. Whether the pitcher strikes the stone, or the stone the pitcher, it is bad for the _______.
25. Who _______ to you will chatter of you.
26. Who is worse shod than the shoemaker's _______?
27. Who repairs not his gutters repairs his _______ house.
28. _______ at first and lose at last.
29. A wise man is never less _______ than when alone.
30. Wise men learn by other's _______; fools by their own.
31. The wish is _______ to the thought.
32. The worse _______ now, the better another time.
33. Worse things happen at _______.
34. The _______ of a thing is best known by the want of it.
35. You cannot get a _______ into a pint pot.
36. You cannot get _______ out of a stone.
37. You cannot make a _______ purse out of a sow's ear.
38. You cannot make bricks without _______.
39. You cannot run with the _______ and hunt with the hounds.
40. You cannot serve _______ and Mammon.
41. You may know by a handful the whole _______.
42. You must _______ and bear it.
43. You scratch my _______ and I'll scratch yours.
44. The _______ will sow their wild oats.
45. Youth will be _______.
46. Young blood must have its _______.
47. Zeal without _______ is a runaway horse.
Try the Quiz : Proverbs for College Students : English Proverbs W-Z