Home > English Proverbs > Print Preview
Hide all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
|What is the missing word that completes each proverb?|
1. Give a lie twenty-four hours' start, and you can never _______ it.
2. Give knaves an _______ and they will take a yard.
3. Give us the _______, and we will finish the job.
4. Gluttony kills more than the _______.
5. God is always on the _______ of the big batallions.
6. God tempers the _______ to the shorn lamb.
7. Good company on the road is the _______ cut.
8. A good _______ makes a good wife.
9. A good _______ is none the worse for being told twice.
10. Good _______ needs no bush.
11. Grasp all, _______ all.
12. A great city, a great _______.
13. The greatest talkers are the least _______.
14. A growing youth has a _______ in his belly.
15. Half the _______ knows not how the other half lives.
16. Happy is the country that has no _______.
17. Haste trips over its own _______.
18. He cannot speak well that cannot hold his _______.
19. He should have a long _______ that sups with the devil.
20. He that commits a _______ thinks everyone speaks of it.
21. He that fights and _______ away may live to fight another day.
22. He that hath a full _______ never wanted a friend.
23. He that hath not silver in his purse should have _______ in his tongue.
24. He that hath wife and children hath given hostages to _______.
25. He that will not when he _______, when he will he shall have nay.
26. He that would eat the kernel must crack the _______.
27. He that would have eggs must endure the cackling of _______.
28. He that would the daughter win, must with the _______ first begin.
29. He who _______ all confesses all.
30. He who excuses himself _______ himself.
31. He who gives fair words feeds you with an empty _______.
32. He who goes against the fashion is himself its _______.
33. He who handles a nettle tenderly is soonest _______.
34. He who _______ through a hole may see what will vex him.
35. Hide not your _______ under a bushel.
36. The highest branch is not the _______ roost.
37. Hitch your wagon to a _______.
38. Hoist your sail when the _______ is fair.
39. Hope deferred makes the _______ sick.
40. Hope springs _______ in the human breast.
41. A house _______ against itself cannot stand.
42. Hypocrisy is a homage that vice pays to _______.
Try the Quiz : Proverbs for College Students : English Proverbs G-H