Home > English Proverbs > Print Preview
Hide all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
|What is the missing word that completes each proverb?|
1. Per _______ ad astra.
2. The pitcher goes so often to the well that it is _______ at last.
3. Possession is nine points of the _______.
4. Pouring oil on the fire is not the way to _______ it.
5. Praise makes good men _______ and bad men worse.
6. Praise without _______ puts little in the pot.
7. Procrastination is the _______ of time.
8. Promises are like pie-crust, made to be _______.
9. The proper study of _______ is man.
10. A prophet is not without honor, save in his own _______, and in his own house.
11. Prosperity makes _______, adversity tries them.
12. Providence is always on the _______ of the big batallions.
13. Punctuality is the politeness of _______.
14. Queen _______ is dead.
15. Rain before seven, _______ before eleven.
16. The _______ is as bad as the thief.
17. The _______ may be worse than the disease.
18. Revenge is _______.
19. The road to _______ is paved with good intentions.
20. A _______ by any other name would smell as sweet.
21. Safety lies in the _______ course.
22. Second thoughts are _______.
23. Self-praise is no _______.
24. Self-preservation is the first _______ of nature.
25. Set a _______ on horseback and he'll ride to the devil.
26. Share and _______ alike.
27. The shortest way round is the _______ way home.
28. Silence gives _______.
29. So many countries, so many _______.
30. Sow the _______ and reap the whirlwind.
31. Speak fair and _______ what you like.
32. Speak _______ of the dead.
33. The sting of a reproach is the _______ of it.
34. Stolen pleasures are _______.
35. A _______ will show which way the wind blows.
36. Stretch your _______ according to your coverlet.
37. Submitting to one wrong brings on _______.
38. Sufficient unto the _______ is the evil thereof.
39. The _______ is never the worse for shining on a dunghill.
40. Sweet are the _______ of adversity.
Try the Quiz : Proverbs for College Students : English Proverbs P-S