Hide all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
Given the PROVERB, identify the MEANING
1. Talk of the devil and the devil appears.
This is said in jest when a person we have been talking about meets us.
2. There's many a slip between the cup and the lip.
We cannot assume anything is ours until we actually get it.
3. There is no rose without a thorn.
Unalloyed happiness is impossible, because joy and sorrow go together.
4. There is no smoke without fire.
Rumours are not baseless but have some truth in them.
5. A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
The memory of something pleasant provides everlasting pleasure.
6. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Think of your own mistakes before blaming others.
7. Time and tide wait for no man.
One must not miss opportunities by delaying action.
8. Time is a great healer.
Pain or grief diminish or disappear with the passage of time.
9. To err is human.
It is natural for all of us to make mistakes.
10. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
It is chaotic for too many people to do the same job at the same time.
11. Touch pitch and be defiled.
If you keep contact with bad people, you get spoiled.
12. Two heads are better than one.
It is beneficial when persons reason jointly and make up for each other's deficiencies.
13. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.
With greatness and power comes a lot of responsibility.
14. United we stand, divided we fall.
There is strength and safety in numbers compared individuals acting alone.
15. Variety is the spice of life.
Experiencing different things makes living interesting and prevents boredom.
16. Wake not a sleeping lion.
It is wise not to disturb things at times lest you invite trouble.
17. Walls have ears.
Take care when you speak lest others hear what they should not.
18. Waste not, want not.
If one is careful with things especially money, one will not lack them when needed.
19. A watched pot never boils.
If we are eagerly waiting for something, it seems to take forever to happen.
20. Water is a boon in the desert, but the drowning man curses it.
There is too little of what we want and too much of what we don't want.
21. Well begun is half done.
A good start to a task leads to its easy and successful completion.
22. What's done cannot be undone.
It is too late to change one's mind after performing an action.
23. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
What is appropriate for one is appropriate for another.
24. When in Rome do as the Romans do.
One must adapt to one's surroundings.
25. When one door shuts another opens.
Failure should not discourage us, for some other opportunity always exists.
26. When the cat is away the mice will play.
People take advantage when the person in charge is absent.
27. Where ignorance is bliss it is folly to be wise.
It is better to be unaware of something that will bring unhappiness.
28. Where there's a will there's a way.
If one is determined, one will find a path to success.
29. The wish is father to the thought.
It is a desire that gives birth to a belief.
30. You cannot have your cake and eat it.
You cannot have everything because a choice has to be made between alternatives.
31. You can take a horse to the water, but you cannot make him drink.
You cannot help an unwilling person beyond a certain point.
32. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.
You do me a favor and I will reciprocate.
33. Beauty is but skin deep.
Do not judge solely by looks because appearances are deceptive.
34. Every ass likes to hear himself bray.
Foolish people talk a lot.
35. A fool and his money are soon parted.
If one spends without thought, then one will be penniless.
36. Nothing venture, nothing gain.
Without risks, there are no rewards.
Try the Quiz : Proverbs : English Proverbs, Meanings & Explanations - Proverb to Meaning V