Hide all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
|What is the missing word that completes each proverb?|
1. Wake not a sleeping _______.
2. _______ have ears.
3. Waste not, _______ not.
4. Water is a boon in the _______, but the drowning man curses it.
5. A watched _______ never boils.
6. We live in deeds, not in _______.
7. Wedlock is a _______.
8. Well _______ is half done.
9. What can't be _______ must be endured.
10. What's _______ cannot be undone.
11. What's sauce for the _______ is sauce for the gander.
12. What is the good of a sundial in the _______?
13. What is worth doing is worth doing _______.
14. What will Mrs _______ say?
15. Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also _______.
16. When all men _______, no man hears.
17. When children stand _______, they have done some ill.
18. When Greek meets _______, then comes the tug of war.
19. When I lent, I had a _______; when I asked, he was unkind.
20. When in _______, leave out.
21. When in Rome, do as the _______ do.
22. When one _______ shuts, another opens.
23. When the cat is away, the _______ will play.
24. Where there is a _______, there is a way.
25. Where there is _______, there is fire.
26. While there is _______, there is hope.
27. Who keeps company with the _______ will learn to howl.
28. Why keep a _______ and bark yourself?
29. A _______ lasts but nine days.
30. A word is enough to the _______.
31. A _______ spoken is past recalling.
32. Words cut more than _______.
33. _______ is worship.
34. The worst _______ of the cart creaks most.
35. You cannot burn the _______ at both ends.
36. You cannot catch old _______ with chaff.
37. You cannot have it _______ ways.
38. You cannot have the _______ and eat it too.
39. You cannot make a _______ walk straight.
40. You cannot make an omelet without breaking _______.
41. You cannot put an old head on young _______.
42. You cannot _______ the cow and drink the milk.
43. You cannot teach an old dog new _______.
44. You may lead a horse to the water, but you cannot make him _______.
45. You must lose a _______ to catch a trout.
46. You never know what you can do till you _______.
47. Want is the _______ of industry.
48. The way to a man's heart is through his _______.
49. We are all _______ of opinion.
50. We get what we deserve not what we _______.
51. We soon _______ what we desire.
52. The _______ goes to the wall.
53. What can you expect from a _______ but a grunt?
54. What _______ little is little esteemed.
55. What is a workman without his _______?
56. What is bred in the _______ will never come out of the flesh.
57. What's yours is _______, and what's mine is my own.
58. What man has _______, man can do.
59. What may be done at _______ time is done at no time.
60. What _______ be must be.
61. What one _______ on the swings, one makes up on the roundabouts.
62. What soberness conceals, _______ reveals.
63. What the eye doesn't see, the _______ doesn't grieve over.
64. When in _______, do nowt.
65. When the wolf comes in at the door, love creeps out of the _______.
66. When the word is out, it _______ to another.
67. When _______ fall out, honest men come by their own.
68. Where _______ is bliss, it is folly to be wise.
69. Where there's _______, there's brass.
70. Whether the pitcher strikes the stone, or the stone the pitcher, it is bad for the _______.
71. Who _______ to you will chatter of you.
72. Who is worse shod than the shoemaker's _______?
73. Who repairs not his gutters repairs his _______ house.
74. _______ at first and lose at last.
75. A wise man is never less _______ than when alone.
76. Wise men learn by other's _______; fools by their own.
77. The wish is _______ to the thought.
78. The worse _______ now, the better another time.
79. Worse things happen at _______.
80. The _______ of a thing is best known by the want of it.
81. You cannot get a _______ into a pint pot.
82. You cannot get _______ out of a stone.
83. You cannot make a _______ purse out of a sow's ear.
84. You cannot make bricks without _______.
85. You cannot run with the _______ and hunt with the hounds.
86. You cannot serve _______ and Mammon.
87. You may know by a handful the whole _______.
88. You must _______ and bear it.
89. You scratch my _______ and I'll scratch yours.
90. The _______ will sow their wild oats.
91. Youth will be _______.
92. Young blood must have its _______.
93. Zeal without _______ is a runaway horse.
Try the Quiz : Proverbs for Teens : English Proverbs W-Z