Home > English Proverbs > Print Preview
Hide all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
|What is the missing word that completes each proverb?|
1. Give a _______ a bad name and hang him.
2. Give a thief enough _______ and he'll hang himself.
3. Give and _______.
4. Give credit where _______ is due.
5. Give the devil his _______.
6. God _______ those who help themselves.
7. God made the _______, and man made the town.
8. The gods send _______ to those who have no teeth.
9. The _______ age was never the present age.
10. A golden _______ opens every door.
11. Good _______ make good neighbors.
12. A good _______ is sooner lost than won.
13. The grapes are _______.
14. Great _______ from little acorns grow.
15. Half a _______ is better than no bread.
16. The hand that rocks the _______ rules the world.
17. Harp not for ever on the same _______.
18. _______ makes waste.
19. He gives _______ who gives quickly.
20. He is _______ that has few wants.
21. He laughs best who laughs _______.
22. He that cannot _______ cannot command.
23. He that has a great nose thinks everybody is _______ of it.
24. He that is down need fear no _______.
25. He travels the fastest who travels _______.
26. He who begins many things, finishes but _______.
27. He who hesitates is _______.
28. He who makes no mistakes makes _______.
29. He who pays the _______ calls the tune.
30. He who rides a _______ is afraid to dismount.
31. He who says what he likes shall _______ what he does not like.
32. He who would climb the ladder must begin at the _______.
33. Health is _______.
34. Heaven helps those who _______ themselves.
35. A heavy _______ makes a light heart.
36. A _______ between keeps friendships green.
37. Help a lame _______ over a stile.
38. _______ repeats itself.
39. _______ is the best policy.
40. Hope for the best and prepare for the _______.
41. _______ is the best sauce.
42. Give a lie twenty-four hours' start, and you can never _______ it.
43. Give knaves an _______ and they will take a yard.
44. Give us the _______, and we will finish the job.
45. Gluttony kills more than the _______.
46. God is always on the _______ of the big batallions.
47. God tempers the _______ to the shorn lamb.
48. Good company on the road is the _______ cut.
49. A good _______ makes a good wife.
50. A good _______ is none the worse for being told twice.
51. Good _______ needs no bush.
52. Grasp all, _______ all.
53. A great city, a great _______.
54. The greatest talkers are the least _______.
55. A growing youth has a _______ in his belly.
56. Half the _______ knows not how the other half lives.
57. Happy is the country that has no _______.
58. Haste trips over its own _______.
59. He cannot speak well that cannot hold his _______.
60. He should have a long _______ that sups with the devil.
61. He that commits a _______ thinks everyone speaks of it.
62. He that fights and _______ away may live to fight another day.
63. He that hath a full _______ never wanted a friend.
64. He that hath not silver in his purse should have _______ in his tongue.
65. He that hath wife and children hath given hostages to _______.
66. He that will not when he _______, when he will he shall have nay.
67. He that would eat the kernel must crack the _______.
68. He that would have eggs must endure the cackling of _______.
69. He that would the daughter win, must with the _______ first begin.
70. He who _______ all confesses all.
71. He who excuses himself _______ himself.
72. He who gives fair words feeds you with an empty _______.
73. He who goes against the fashion is himself its _______.
74. He who handles a nettle tenderly is soonest _______.
75. He who _______ through a hole may see what will vex him.
76. Hide not your _______ under a bushel.
77. The highest branch is not the _______ roost.
78. Hitch your wagon to a _______.
79. Hoist your sail when the _______ is fair.
80. Hope deferred makes the _______ sick.
81. Hope springs _______ in the human breast.
82. A house _______ against itself cannot stand.
83. Hypocrisy is a homage that vice pays to _______.
Try the Quiz : Proverbs for Teens : English Proverbs G-H