Hide all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
|What is the missing word that completes each proverb?|
1. _______ people never have any leisure.
2. If at _______ you don't succeed, try, try, try again.
3. If each would _______ before his own door, we should have a clean city.
4. If 'ifs' and 'ans' were pots and _______, there'd be no work for tinkers!
5. If it were not for _______, the heart would break.
6. If one _______ leaps over the ditch, all the rest will follow.
7. If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the _______.
8. If the _______ fits, wear it.
9. If there were no _______, we should not enjoy the sun.
10. If two men ride on a horse, one must ride _______.
11. If wishes were _______, beggars would ride.
12. If you cannot bite, never show your _______.
13. If you run after two hares, you will _______ neither.
14. If you sing before breakfast, you will _______ before night.
15. If you want a thing well done, do it _______.
16. In the country of the _______, the one-eyed man is king.
17. It is a foolish bird that soils its own _______.
18. It is a foolish sheep that makes the _______ his confessor.
19. It's a long lane that has no _______.
20. It's a _______ heart that never rejoices.
21. It is better to _______ than to take.
22. It is easier to pull down than to _______.
23. It is easy to be _______ after the event.
24. It is _______ that makes the world go round.
25. It is never too _______ to mend.
26. It is no use crying over _______ milk.
27. It is too late to lock the _______ when the horse has been stolen.
28. It is useless to flog a dead _______.
29. It never _______ but it pours.
30. It takes _______ to make a quarrel.
31. A Jack of all trades is _______ of none.
32. Jam _______ and jam yesterday -- but never jam today.
33. Keep something for a _______ day.
34. Kill not the _______ that lays the golden eggs.
35. Idle folk have the least _______.
36. If a man deceives me once, shame on him; if he deceives me twice, shame on _______.
37. If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing _______.
38. If the _______ will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet must go to the mountain.
39. If you do not _______ it, you may lump it.
40. If you want _______, prepare for war.
41. Ill _______ comes apace.
42. An ill payer never wants an _______.
43. Ill _______ grow apace.
44. _______ is the sincerest form of flattery.
45. In a _______ sea, every man is a pilot.
46. In for a _______, in for a pound.
47. In peace, prepare for _______.
48. In _______ veritas.
49. In wine, there is _______.
50. It is a sad house where the _______ crows louder than the cock.
51. It's an ill _______ that blows nobody any good.
52. It is as well to know which way the wind _______.
53. It is better to wear out than to _______ out.
54. It's dogged that _______ it.
55. It is easy to _______ the misfortunes of others.
56. It is good fishing in _______ waters.
57. It is ill jesting with edged _______.
58. It is ill striving against the _______.
59. It is ill waiting for _______ men's shoes.
60. It is the _______ that always happens.
61. It needs more skill than I can tell to play the second _______ well.
62. It takes all _______ to make a world.
63. It will be all the same a hundred _______ hence.
64. _______ not, that ye be not judged.
65. Kind _______ are more than coronets.
66. Know your own faults before _______ others for theirs.
67. _______ is power.
Try the Quiz : Proverbs for Teens : English Proverbs I-K