Try the Quiz : USA Quiz Games : US States & Mottoes
||Just what you need to know!
- Alabama : We dare defend our rights
Latin: Audemus jura nostra defendere
- The nickname for Alabama (AL) is Yellowhammer State. Its capital is Montgomery.
- Alaska : North to the future
- The nickname for Alaska (AK) is The Last Frontier. It is also known as the Land of the Midnight Sun. Its capital is Juneau. Alaska is the largest state in area but is the least populated. The US bought Alaska in 1867 from Russia for a little over 7 million dollars. Great deposits of oil and natural gas are today mined in Alaska.
- Arizona : God enriches
Latin: Ditat Deus
- The nickname for Arizona (AZ) is The Grand Canyon State. It is also known as Copper State. Its capital is Phoenix.
- Arkansas : The people rule
Latin: Regnat populus
- The nickname for Arkansas (AR) is The Natural State. Its capital is Little Rock.
- California : I have found it
- The nickname for California (CA) is The Golden State. Its capital is Sacramento.
- Colorado : Nothing without providence
Latin: Nil sine numine
- The nickname for Colorado (CO) is Centennial State. It is also referred to as Colorful Colorado. Its capital is Denver.
- Connecticut : He who transplanted still sustains
Latin: Qui transtulit sustinet
- The nickname for Connecticut (CT) is Constitution State. It is also called Nutmeg State, Provisions State, or Land of Steady Habits. Its capital is Hartford.
- Delaware : Liberty and independence
- The nickname for Delaware (DE) is The First State. It is also called The Diamond State, Blue Hen State, or Small Wonder. Its capital is Dover.
- Florida : In God we trust
- The nickname for Florida (FL) is Sunshine State. Its capital is Tallahassee.
- Georgia : Wisdom, justice and moderation
- The nickname for Georgia (GA) is Peach State. Its capital is Atlanta.
- Hawaii : The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness
Hawaiian: Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono
- The nickname for Hawaii (HI) is Aloha State. Its capital is Honolulu. Hawaii consists of a group of about 130 islands in the Pacific ocean. It is about 3360 km from the continental US and is the most recent state to be enlisted (in 1959). Hawaii is known for its volcanic activity.
- Idaho : It is perpetual
Latin: Esto perpetua
- The nickname for Idaho (ID) is Gem State. It is also called the Gem of the Mountains. Its capital is Boise.
- Illinois : State sovereignty, national union
- The nickname for Illinois (IL) is Prairie State. Its capital is Springfield.
- Indiana : The crossroads of America
- The nickname for Indiana (IN) is Hoosier State. Its capital is Indianapolis.
- Iowa : Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain
- The nickname for Iowa (IA) is Hawkeye State. Its capital is Des Moines.
- Kansas : To the stars through difficulties
Latin: Ad astra per aspera
- The nickname for Kansas (KS) is Sunflower State. Its capital is Topeka.
- Kentucky : United we stand, divided we fall
- The nickname for Kentucky (KY) is Bluegrass State. Its capital is Frankfort.
- Louisiana : Union, justice and confidence
- The nickname for Louisiana (LA) is Pelican State. Its capital is Baton Rouge.
- Maine : I direct
- The nickname for Maine (ME) is Pine Tree State. Its capital is Augusta. Maine is the northeastern most state of the US. It has an area of 86156 sq. km.
- Maryland : Strong deeds, gentle words
Italian: Fatti maschii, parole femine
- Fatti maschii, parole femine' literally means 'Manly deeds, womanly words'.
The nickname for Maryland (MD) is Old Line State. Its capital is Annapolis.
- Massachusetts : By the sword we seek peace under liberty
Latin: Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem
- The nickname for Massachusetts (MA) is Bay State. It is also known as Old Colony State. Its capital is Boston.
- Michigan : If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look around you
Latin: Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice
- The nickname for Michigan (MI) is The Wolverine State. It is also called the Great Lakes State. Its capital is Lansing.
- Minnesota : The star of the north
French: L'etoile du Nord
- The nickname for Minnesota (MN) is North Star State. It is also known as Land of Ten Thousand Lakes. Its capital is St. Paul.
- Mississippi : By virtue and arms
Latin: Virtute et armis
- The nickname for Mississippi (MS) is Magnolia State. Its capital is Jackson.
- Missouri : Let the welfare of the people be the supreme law
Latin: Salus populi suprema lex esto
- The nickname for Missouri (MO) is Show Me State. Its capital is Jefferson City.
- Montana : Gold and silver
Spanish: Oro y plata
- The nickname for Montana (MT) is Treasure State. Its capital is Helena.
- Nebraska : Equality before the law
- The nickname for Nebraska (NE) is Cornhusker State. Its capital is Lincoln.
- Nevada : All for our country
- The nickname for Nevada (NV) is Silver State. It is also known as Sage State or Sagebrush State. Its capital is Carson City.
- New Hampshire : Live free or die
- The nickname for New Hampshire (NH) is The Granite State. Its capital is Concord.
- New Jersey : Liberty and prosperity
- The nickname for New Jersey (NJ) is Garden State. Its capital is Trenton.
- New Mexico : It grows as it goes
Latin: Crescit eundo
- The nickname for New Mexico (NM) is Land of Enchantment. Its capital is Santa Fe.
- New York : Excelsior
- The nickname for New York (NY) is Empire State. Its capital is Albany.
- North Carolina : To be rather than to seem
Latin: Esse quam videri
- The nickname for North Carolina (NC) is Old North State. Its capital is Raleigh.
- North Dakota : Liberty and union, now and forever, one and inseparable
- The nickname for North Dakota (ND) is Peace Garden State. It is also known as Flickertail State or Roughrider State. Its capital is Bismarck.
- Ohio : With God, all things are possible
- The nickname for Ohio (OH) is Buckeye State. Its capital is Columbus.
- Oklahoma : Work conquers all
Latin: Labor vincit omnia
- The nickname for Oklahoma (OK) is The Sooner State. Its capital is Oklahoma City.
- Oregon : She flies with her own wings
Latin: Alis volat propiis
- The nickname for Oregon (OR) is Beaver State. Its capital is Salem.
- Pennsylvania : Virtue, liberty and independence
- The nickname for Pennsylvania (PA) is Keystone State. Its capital is Harrisburg.
- Rhode Island : Hope
- The nickname for Rhode Island (RI) is Ocean State. It is also known as Plantation State. Its capital is Providence. Rhode Island is the smallest state in the US with an area of 3139 sq. km.
- South Carolina : While I breathe, I hope
Latin: Dum spiro, spero
- Another motto for South Carolina is 'While I breathe, I hope'. The nickname for South Carolina (SC) is Palmetto State. Its capital is Columbia.
- South Dakota : Under God the people rule
- The nickname for South Dakota (SD) is Mount Rushmore State. Its capital is Pierre.
- Tennessee : Agriculture and commerce
- The nickname for Tennessee (TN) is The Volunteer State. It is also known as Big Bend State, Hog and Hominy State, or The Mother of Southwestern Statesmen. Its capital is Nashville.
- Texas : Friendship
- The nickname for Texas (TX) is Lone Star State. Its capital is Austin.
- Utah : Industry
- The nickname for Utah (UT) is Beehive State. Its capital is Salt Lake City.
- Vermont : Freedom and unity
- The nickname for Vermont (VT) is Green Mountain State. Its capital is Montpelier.
- Virginia : Thus always to tyrants
Latin: Sic semper tyrannis
- The nickname for Virginia (VA) is Old Dominion State. It is also known as Mother State. Its capital is Richmond.
- Washington : By and by
Chinook Jargon: Al-ki
- The nickname for Washington (WA) is The Evergreen State. Its capital is Olympia.
- West Virginia : Mountaineers are always free
Latin: Montani semper liberi
- The nickname for West Virginia (WV) is Mountain State. Its capital is Charleston.
- Wisconsin : Forward
- The nickname for Wisconsion (WI) is Badger State. Its capital is Madison.
- Wyoming : Equal rights
- The nickname for Wyoming (WY) is Equality State. Its capital is Cheyenne. Yellowstone National Park is located in Wyoming.
Try the Quiz : USA Quiz Games : US States & Mottoes