Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: North Indian (Punjabi) Non-Vegetarian
8 medium sized pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
½ teaspoon(s) each of fenugreek seeds(methi), cumin seeds and turmeric powder
4 whole dry red chillies
2 tablespoon(s) each of ginger and garlic pastes
1 teaspoon(s)each of mustard, fennel(saunf) and onion seeds(kalonji)
2 teaspoon(s) red chilli powder
2 large onion(s) cut into cubes
1 cup(s) tomato puree
1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
½ cup(s) water
2 tablespoon(s) mustard oil / cooking oil
salt to taste
finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan till hot add the mustard, fennel, fenugreek, cumin, onion seeds, whole dry red chillies and fry for a few seconds. Add the onions and fry on high level for a few seconds till the onions are well coated with oil and are still crunchy (neither fried nor soft). Transfer to a bowl, leaving the oil in the pan.
- To the same pan, add the ginger-garlic pastes, turmeric, red chilli powder and saute for a few seconds. Add the chicken pieces and fry on high level for about 2 minute(s) or till the chicken is a little white in color.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low level for about 20 minutes or till the water evaporates, oil separates from the sides of the pan and the chicken is well cooked.
- Add the tomato puree and fry on high level for a few seconds. Now add the fried onion mix and sprinkle salt to taste. Mix well. Saute on high level for about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.
Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Traditionally this dish is cooked in mustard oil. If it is difficult to obtain mustard oil, any other oil could be used.
- Although the north Indian pickle has whole spices, some people prefer to roast and then coarsely grind the whole spices to use in the above recipe.
- For a less spicier version simply the amount of red chilli powder can be toned down.
- Nigella is another name for onion seeds.
Serve hot with: Green Peas Rice (Matar Pulav), white rice or Indian bread (Roti).