Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: Indian Vegetarian
4 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee) / butter
1" cinnamon stick broken
2 each of bay leaves and cloves
1 teaspoon(s) black peppercorns
4 large onions finely sliced
2 cup(s) Basmati rice
4 cups warm water
salt to taste
- Pour the melted clarified butter (ghee) in a microwave-safe large deep bowl. Add the whole spices and microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 1 minute(s).
- Add the onion slices and microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 4 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the onions are soft and cooked (they should remain pale).
- Add the rice and mix well. Pour in the warm water and add the salt. Mix well. Microwave covered for about 11 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the rice is done and all the water has evaporated. Separate the grains of rice with a fork lightly to fluff them up.
- Ghee may be readily available off the shelf in Indian stores. However, it is important that it be fresh stock.
- Traditionally flavored rice or Basmati rice is used for this recipe. If it is difficult to obtain Basmati rice, any other long-grained rice is fine.
- Traditionally the rice in this dish is cooked with hot water till soft and little mushy unlike the firm and grainy rice above. However it tastes simply amazing either way.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot with any of the Vegetable Dishes.
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.