Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: North Indian Vegetarian
2 tablespoon(s) oil
300 grams (about 12 oz.) okra (ladyfinger) cut into small (1/4") pieces
1 medium onion(s) sliced finely
1 teaspoon(s) each of red chilli, coriander and cumin powders
½ teaspoon(s) each of turmeric powder and hot spice mix (garam masala) powder
2 green chilli(es) slit
a squeeze of lemon and salt to taste
- Heat oil on high (100%) power in a shallow microwave-safe bowl for about 1 minute(s) or till it is hot enough.
- Add all other ingredients except salt and lemon juice. Mix well and microwave on high (100%) power uncovered for about 6 minutes stirring mid-way.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice and salt to taste. Mix lightly and microwave on high (100%) power uncovered for about 5 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the okra is cooked but firm.
- Salt should be added at a later stage of cooking (step 3) to make the okra crisp.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot with: Green Peas Rice (Matar Pulav), white rice or Indian bread (Roti).
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.