Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: South Indian Vegetarian (Kerala)
4 tablespoons oil
4 whole green cardamoms
4 whole cloves
1" cinnamon stick(s)
2 green chilli(es) slit
2 teaspoon(s) ginger cut into strips (juliennes)
2 medium onion(s) sliced
4 cups chopped mixed vegetables (potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, french beans, and green bell peppers)
few curry leaves and salt to taste
4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon(s) black peppercorns coarsely crushed
2 cup(s) coconut milk (canned unsweetened coconut milk is available in Asian markets)
- Mix the oil with the green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, green chilli(es), ginger and sliced onions in a deep microwave-safe bowl. Microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 3 minutes or till the onions are transparent and soft.
- Add the mixed vegetables, curry leaves, salt and water. Microwave covered on 70% power for about 5 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the vegetables are tender.
- Add the peppercorns and the coconut milk. Mix well and microwave covered on 70% power for about 2 minute(s) (see that the coconut milk does not curdle).
- This dish tastes best when it is made just before the meal time.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve immediately with: Rice and Coconut Pancakes (Appam) or Coconut Rice (Tengai Saadham)
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.