Hide all answers
Hide all answers
View all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
Given the QUESTION, identify the ANSWER
1. Which of the following is a vestigeal organ?
Vestigeal organs: During the process of evolution, they have lost their function in some organisms, while they are still functioning in others. Appendix, external ear muscles and tail muscles are few examples of vestigeal organs in humans.
2. Villi are not found in
Villi are finger-like projections in the walls of the small intestine. Due to the presence of villi, the surface area of the small intestine is tremendously increased. This aids in the process of absorption.
3. What type are teeth 1 and 2 in the following diagram?
4. Write the correct sequence, starting from the beginning.
Ingestion, absorption, digestion, excretion
Excretion, absorption, digestion, ingestion
Ingestion, digestion, excretion, absorption
Ingestion, digestion, absorption, excretion
Answer: Ingestion, digestion, absorption, excretion
5. Which of the following is not true regarding saliva?
It contains digestive enzymes.
It is secreted by salivary glands.
It is a colorless fluid.
It doesn't have any role in swallowing of food.
Answer: It doesn't have any role in swallowing of food.
Saliva helps in lubricating food and thus helps in swallowing.
6. Most of the water in the alimentary tract is absorbed through
Answer: Large intestine
7. The process of digestion begins in the
Answer: Mouth cavity
In the mouth cavity, food is churned and mixed with the saliva which contains digestive enzymes.
8. What type are teeth 7 and 8 in the following diagram?
9. Movement of the intestinal tract responsible for propelling the food downwards in the alimentary canal is known as
Peristaltic waves are the rings of contraction in the intestinal wall. They move forward resulting in propulsion of food.
10. Which of these is not a part of the small intestine?
Small intestine is a coiled muscular tube, divided into three parts : duodenum, jejunum and ileum. Rectum is a part of the large intestine.
11. Find the odd one out.
Thyroid gland is not a part of the digestive system.
12. Absorbed food particles are distributed to the different parts of the body through lymph.
They are distributed through blood.
Given the QUESTION, identify the LABEL (ON DIAGRAM)
HUMAN GASTROINTESTINAL SYSTEM
13. Identify salivary gland in this diagram
There are three pairs of salivary glands: parotid, sublingual and submaxillary. The gland shown in this diagram is the submaxillary gland.
14. Food descends from mouth to stomach through this muscular tube.
It is known as the esophagus.
15. Identify the organ where bile is stored.
The gall bladder is a globular structure, which stores and concentrates bile. Whenever need for bile arises, it is discharged into the duodenum.
16. Identify the organ in which bile is secreted.
Bile is secreted in the liver.
17. Identify pancreas in this diagram.
Pancreas secretes pancreatic juice which contains digestive enzymes.
18. Identify the part where most of the ingested water is absorbed.
It is absorbed in the large intestine.
19. Identify the part where absorption of food occurs.
Most of the digested food is absorbed in the small intestine.
Try the Quiz : Biology : Human Digestive / Gastrointestinal System I