Adventures in Aipotu -- Episode 2
Questions for Discussion
- When the butter-fly asks Damini where she is off to, Damini replies ``I
do not know.'' The butter-fly answers ``Oh I go there quite often myself.
And I just love it. I love the aimless wandering and the feeling of
timelessness. Do you think I can ride with you?'' Do you go to a place
called ``I do not know'' once in a while? Do you like it? Why do you think
one might like visiting ``I do not know?''
- Why do you think a butterfly is called a butterfly? [Middle English
butterflye, from Old English butorfleoge : butor, butere, butter; +
fleoge, fly.] WORD HISTORY Is a butterfly named for the color of its
excrement or because it was thought to steal butter? It is hard to
imagine that anyone ever noticed the color of butterfly excrement or
believed the insect capable of such theft. The first suggestion rests on
the fact that an early Dutch name for the butterfly was boterschijte.
The second is based on an old belief that the butterfly was really a
larcenous witch in disguise.
- In the butter-singer's song, she mentions that they took their lady to
the End of the Earth and pushed her off. Do you know whether the Earth
has an end? Where is it?
- What are the clues that suggest to you that the Earth is spherical?
- What did you think of the butter-singer's song? What is she trying to
- Do you know how the moon was formed? Visit the folowing page to find out:
Write to the author
The author will review feedback and answers received for any of the questions
above. Selected answers may be published on this web site as "model" answers
for the benefit of other readers. Please use the form below to make your