Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: Indian Vegetarian (Bengali)
2 tablespoon(s) poppy seeds (khus khus)
3 green chilli(es)
6 big potatoes peeled and cubed
3 tablespoon(s) smoked mustard oil or any other cooking oil
3 whole dry red chilli(es)
½ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
½ cup(s) water
salt to taste
chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Roast the poppy seeds on a microwave-safe plate for about 1 minute(s) (stirring mid-way) or till they are very lightly browned and aromatic. Cool and grind the roasted poppy seeds along with the green chilli(es) and ver little or a sprinkle of water just enough to make a very fine paste. Keep aside.
- Place the potato cubes in a wide microwave-safe bowl in one layer and sprinkle some oil on them. Mix well and microwave uncovered on 70% power for about 5 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till they are lightly browned. Remove on to a plate and keep aside.
- Now, pour the remaining oil in the same microwave-safe bowl. Add the whole dry red chilli(es), turmeric powder and the poppy seed paste. Mix well and microwave uncovered on 70% power for about 4 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the oil has left the sides of the bowl.
- Add now the potato cubes and mix well. Add water and salt. Stir well. Microwave covered on 70% power for about 7 minutes (stirring twice) or till the potatoes are soft.
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Traditionally this recipe is cooked in smoked mustard oil. Mustard oil is heated in a pan on a gas stove till it starts smoking. It is then cooled and used.
- Potato cubes deep fried in hot oil on a gas stove till light brown and then used gives this dish an authentic taste.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot with: Subtly Tempered Rice (Nucchi), white rice or Indian bread (Roti).
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.