Home > General Knowledge Quizzes > Computers and Internet Quizzes > Print Preview
Computers : Hardware Quiz
Hide all answers
Hide all answers
View all answers
View all answers
Try the Quiz
Given the QUESTION, identify the ANSWER
1. Which part is the "brain" of the computer?
CPU stands for Central Processing Unit. This does all the computations and processing; hence, it is known as the "brain" of the computer.
2. What is the permanent memory built into your computer called?
ROM stands for Read Only Memory.
3. Approximately how many bytes make one Megabyte
Answer: One Million
Typically the RAM of your computer is expressed in Mb.
4. The capacity of your hard drive is measured in
The hard drive is the large-capacity magnetic storage device for the computer's data. Typically the capacity of a hard drive is measured in terms of Gigabytes of data it can store.
5. Which of the following is not an input device?
An input device is one which is used to pass on information to the computer. Of the choices given above, the monitor is used to receive information from the computer. Hence it is an output device.
6. Which of the following is not an output device?
An output device is one which is used to receive information coming from the computer whereas an input device is one which is used to pass on information. The keyboard is an input device.
7. Which device allows your computer to talk to other computers over a telephone line as well as access the internet?
Modem Stands for Modulator Demodulator. It is used to dial up your ISP and get you connected to the net.
8. How much information can a CD (Compact Disk) usually store?
Answer: 650 Mb
A CD can store upto 650 Mb of data making it a wonderful storage element. On the other hand, a floppy (3.5") can store only 1.4 Mb of data.
9. Which of the following is an operating system you would be using on the computer?
Answer: Microsoft Windows
Windows is one of the most popular Operating Systems. Nowadays a number of Operating Systems are available. Some of the good ones are Linux, BSD, BeOS, MacOS etc.
10. BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System
BIOS is a routine stored in read only memory that controls the communication between the PC and its hardware.
11. Which of these is a not a computer manufacturer?
Microsoft manufactures a variety of software programs and its Operating System Windows is one of the most popular Operating Systems around. It however does not manufacture computers.
12. What does RAM stand for?
Random Access Memory
Remote Authorization Mechanism
Readily Accessed Mailer
Random Authorization Mechanism
Answer: Random Access Memory
RAM stands for Random Access Memory. It is the computer's working memory and computers these days often have 64-256 Mb of RAM.
13. DOS stands for
Dual Operating System
Dual Organized System
Disk Operating System
Disk Organized System
Answer: Disk Operating System
14. Physical components that make up your computer are known as:
The most common hardware components are Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, CPU etc.
15. Which of the following companies is famous for manufacturing computer processors?
Most people these days use a Pentium 4, Pentium III or a Pentium II processor. Another company that makes processors is AMD.
16. Which of the following will you require to hear music on your computer?
Answer: Sound Card
A sound card is used to generate sound and provides audio output to external devices like speakers and headphones.
Try the Quiz : Computers - Hardware Quiz