Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: North Indian Vegetarian
4 tablespoons butter or ghee (clarified butter)
2 green chilli(es) slit
1" piece ginger grated
2" cinnamon stick
4 medium onions chopped
2 cup(s) uncooked long grain rice (called Basmati rice in India)
2 cup(s) shelled green peas
4½ cups water
salt to taste
- Microwave butter / ghee (clarified butter) in a microwave-safe large deep bowl on high (100%) power for about 30 seconds or till it melts.
- Add green chilli(es), ginger, cinnamon and onions. Microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 3 minutes or till the onions are transparent (not brown).
- Add the rice, green peas, water and salt. Mix well. Microvave covered on high (100%) power for about 12 minutes or till all water evaporates and the rice grains are tender but firm. Separate the rice grains with a fork lightly to fluff them up.
- Frozen green peas can be used in place of fresh ones. Fresh green peas can be blanched in salted water and used as above. This will make the peas softer.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot with: Quick Okra (Jhatpat Bhindi) or curries of your choice.
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.