Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: South Indian Vegetarian
4 tablespoons butter or ghee (clarified butter)
1 teaspoon(s) mustard seeds
2 teaspoon(s) each of split black gram and split bengal gram
2 red chillies broken into bits
½ teaspoon(s) asafoetida
4 green chilli(es) chopped
a few curry leaves
2 teacup(s) grated coconut
4 teacups cooked / steamed long grain rice (called Basmati rice in India)
salt to taste
a handful of fried cashewnuts to garnish.
- Pour melted butter / ghee (clarified butter) in a large deep microwave-safe bowl. Add the mustard seeds, grams, red chilli bits and asafoetida. Microwave covered on high (100%) power for about 3 minutes (stirring mid-way if required) or till the mustard seeds splutter and the grams turn light brown.
- Add the chopped green chilli(es), curry leaves and the grated coconut. Mix well. Microwave uncovered on 80% power for about 2 minute(s) (stirring at regular intervals) or till the coconut is light brown in color.
- Add the cooked rice and salt to the coconut mixture. Mix well. Microwave covered on high (100%) power for about 3 minutes or till the rice is flavored with the coconut mixture. Garnish with fried cashewnut bits.
- The cooked rice must be cooled to room temperature before use in step 3. This is a great way to use left-over rice.
- It is important the mustard seeds fully crackle. The mustard seeds can be microwaved in ghee first, and as they start crackling, the grams, red chilli bits and asafoetida can be added and microwaved as said in step 1 above till the grams are lightly browned.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot immediately with: Kerala Mixed Vegetable Stew (Kerala Vegetable Stew) or any other curries of your choice.
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.