Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: South Indian Vegetarian (Konkani)
4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
2 teaspoon(s) each of mustard and fenugreek (methi) seeds
1 tablespoon(s) split black gram (udad dal)
2 cup(s) uncooked long grain rice (called Basmati rice in India)
4 cups water
salt and sugar to taste
2 tablespoon(s) grated fresh coconut or desiccated coconut shavings
- Microwave the ghee (clarified butter) in a large deep microwave-safe bowl on high (100%) power for about 1 minute(s) or till it melts.
- Add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and the split black gram. Microwave covered on 80% power for about 3 minutes or till the mustard crackles and grams are dark brown in color.
- Add the rice, water, sugar and salt. Mix well. Microwave covered on high (100%) power for about 12 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till all water evaporates and the rice grains are tender but firm. Mix in the fresh grated coconut.
- It is important the mustard seeds fully crackle. The mustard seeds can be microwaved in ghee first, and as they start crackling, the split black gram and fenugreek seeds can be added and microwaved as said in step 2 above till the grams are browned.
- If you are using desiccated coconut shavings, add them along with the rice in step 3.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot with:Red Hot Potatoes (Batata Song) or any other curries of your choice.
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.