Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: Indian Vegetarian (Goan)
3 tablespoons butter / ghee (clarified butter)
2 medium onion(s) chopped
1" piece ginger chopped
2 flake(s) garlic chopped
2 green chilli(es) chopped
4 cups chopped mixed vegetables (potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, french beans, and shelled green peas)
salt to taste
1 cup(s) water
1 teaspoon(s) hot spice mix (garam masala) (optional)
2 cup(s) coconut milk (canned unsweetened coconut milk is available in Asian / Indian markets)
finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish.
- Take half the quantity of butter / ghee (clarified butter) in a microwave-safe bowl along with the chopped onion(s), chopped ginger, garlic and green chilli(es). Mix well. Microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 3 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the onions are transparent and soft. Let it cool. Grind this to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Pour the remaining quantity of butter / ghee (clarified butter) in the same microwave-safe bowl, along with the paste. Mix well. Microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 3 minutes or till the moisture has dried up and the fat has left the sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the chopped vegetables and salt. Add the water and stir. Microwave covered on 70% power for about 7 minutes (stirring twice) or till the vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle garam masala (optional) and stir in the coconut milk. Microwave covered on 70% power for about 2 minute(s) (see that the coconut milk does not curdle).
Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Traditionally, ghee or butter is used to prepare this dish. However any cooking oil can be used though it may not give the same flavor.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve immediately with: Coconut Rice (Tengai Saadham) or white rice.
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.