1 Which evidence best supports the theory that
the universe was created by an explosion called
the Big Bang?
(1) impact craters found on Earth
(2) cosmic background radiation
(3) the different compositions of terrestrial and
(4) the blue shift of light from distant galaxies
2 Which star is more massive than our Sun, but
has a lower surface temperature?
(1) 40 Eridani B (3) Aldebaran
(2) Sirius (4) Barnard’s Star
3 Which color of visible light has the shortest
(1) violet (3) yellow
(2) green (4) red
4 The table below shows the times of ocean
high tides and low tides on a certain date at a
New York State location.
At approximately what time on the following day
did the next high tide occur at this location?
(1) 4:40 a.m. (3) 4:40 p.m.
(2) 5:40 a.m. (4) 5:40 p.m.
5 The best evidence of Earth’s rotation is provided
(1) shape of Earth’s orbit
(2) shape of the Milky Way galaxy
(3) changes in the total yearly duration of
insolation at a location on Earth
(4) apparent changes in the direction of swing of
a Foucault pendulum
6 The model below shows the apparent path of the
Sun as seen by an observer in New York State on
the first day of one of the four seasons.
This apparent path of the Sun was observed on
the first day of
(1) spring (3) fall
(2) summer (4) winter
7 Which processes are most likely to cause a rise in
the water table?
(1) runoff and erosion
(2) precipitation and infiltration
(3) deposition and burial
(4) solidification and condensation
8 During which phase change does water release
the most heat energy?
(1) freezing (3) condensation
(2) melting (4) vaporization
9 What is the average air pressure exerted by
Earth’s atmosphere at sea level, expressed in
millibars and inches of mercury?
(1) 1013.25 mb and 29.92 in of Hg
(2) 29.92 mb and 1013.25 in of Hg
(3) 1012.65 mb and 29.91 in of Hg
(4) 29.91 mb and 1012.65 in of Hg
10 Which two processes lead to cloud formation in
(1) compressing and cooling
(2) compressing and warming
(3) expanding and cooling
(4) expanding and warming
11 The weather station model below shows some of
the weather data for a certain location.
What is the wind speed shown on the station
model and which instrument is used to measure
the wind speed?
(1) 15 knots, measured by a wind vane
(2) 15 knots, measured by an anemometer
(3) 25 knots, measured by a wind vane
(4) 25 knots, measured by an anemometer
12 If air has a dry-bulb temperature of 2°C and
a wet-bulb temperature of –2°C, what is the
(1) 11% (3) 36%
(2) 20% (4) 67%
13 Which current has a cooling effect on the climate
of the west coast of South America?
(1) Falkland Current (3) Benguela Current
(2) Peru Current (4) Brazil Current
14 Near which two latitudes are most of Earth’s dry
climate regions found?
(1) 0° and 60° N (3) 30° N and 60° N
(2) 0° and 30° S (4) 30° N and 30° S
15 Which event followed a massive volcanic eruption
and led to the cooling of global temperatures?
(1) thunderstorms that developed near the
(2) the release of carbon dioxide and methane
(3) the outflow of magma over Earth’s surface
(4) the addition of ash particles into the