1 Which New York State city is located at 42°39' N
(1) Buffalo (3) Ithaca
(2) Albany (4) Plattsburgh
2 Positions 1, 2, and 3 in the diagram below
represent the noon Sun above the horizon on
three different days during the year, as viewed
from Binghamton, New York.
At which position was the noon Sun on January 21,
as viewed from Binghamton?
(1) above position 1
(2) below position 3
(3) between position 1 and position 2
(4) between position 2 and position 3
3 Which evidence best supports the theory that
the universe began with a massive explosion?
(1) cosmic background radiation in space
(2) parallelism of planetary axes
(3) radioactive dating of Earth’s bedrock
(4) life cycle of stars
4 The diagram below represents the apparent path
of the Sun as seen by an observer at 65° N on
The Sun’s position shown in the diagram was
observed closest to which time of day?
(1) 9 a.m. (3) 3 p.m.
(2) 11 a.m. (4) 6 p.m.
5 Which statement best describes Earth’s
approximate rates of rotation and revolution?
(1) Earth’s rotation rate is 15°/hour and its
revolution rate is 1°/day.
(2) Earth’s rotation rate is 1°/hour and its
revolution rate is 15°/day.
(3) Earth’s rotation rate is 24°/hour and its
revolution rate is 360°/day.
(4) Earth’s rotation rate is 360°/hour and its
revolution rate is 24°/day.
6 The accumulation of water vapor, carbon dioxide,
and nitrogen in Earth’s early atmosphere
approximately 4 billion years ago resulted mainly
(1) outgassing from Earth’s interior
(2) radioactive decay
(3) photosynthesis by the earliest land plants
(4) convection currents in Earth’s outer core
7 Fossils of which type of animal would most likely
be found in the surface bedrock of the Catskills?
(1) reptiles (3) mammals
(2) brachiopods (4) birds
8 Which geologic event occurred in New York State
at approximately the same time as the extinction
of dinosaurs and ammonoids?
(1) formation of the Queenston Delta
(2) deposition of the sands and clays underlying
(3) initial opening of the Atlantic Ocean
(4) advance and retreat of the last continental
9 The impacts of large asteroids on Earth are
inferred to be associated with
(1) free oxygen entering Earth’s atmosphere
(2) seafloor spreading
(3) the creation of subduction zones
(4) global climatic changes
10 Volcanic ash deposits found in the geologic
record are most useful in correlating the age of
rock layers if the volcanic ash was distributed
(1) large area during a short period of time
(2) large area during a long period of time
(3) small area during a short period of time
(4) small area during a long period of time
11 A fossil formed 11,400 years ago. Which
percentage of the original amount of carbon-14
remains in the fossil?
(1) 100% (3) 25%
(2) 50% (4) 12.5%
12 A psychrometer is used to determine which
(1) wind speed and wind direction
(2) percentage of cloud cover and cloud height
(3) air pressure and air temperature
(4) relative humidity and dewpoint
13 In the Northern Hemisphere, surface winds
around the center of a hurricane move
(1) clockwise and inward
(2) clockwise and outward
(3) counterclockwise and inward
(4) counterclockwise and outward
14 Equal areas of which surface will absorb the most
(1) partially melted snowfield
(2) blacktop parking lot
(3) white sand beach
(4) lake surface
15 A city located on the coast of North America has
warmer winters and cooler summers than a city
at the same elevation and latitude located near
the center of North America. Which statement
best explains the difference between the cities’
(1) Ocean surfaces change temperature more
slowly than land surfaces.
(2) Warm, moist air rises when it meets cool,
(3) Wind speeds are usually greater over land
surfaces than over ocean surfaces.
(4) Ocean surfaces have a lower specific heat
than land surfaces.