Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: North Indian Vegetarian (Punjabi)
2 tablespoons butter / oil
2 green chilli(es) chopped
1 teaspoon(s) each of grated ginger and garlic
2 large onion(s) chopped
2 tomato(es) chopped
½ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
1 teaspoon(s) each of cumin and coriander powders
500 grams (about 20 oz.) turnips peeled chopped fine and washed
½ cup(s) water
salt to taste
1 teaspoon(s) sugar
finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix the butter / oil with the chopped green chilli(es), ginger, garlic and chopped onion(s). Microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 4 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the onions are lightly browned.
- Now, add the chopped tomato(es), turmeric, cumin and coriander powders. Microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 3 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the fat leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Add the chopped turnips and salt. Mix well. Add the water and stir well. Microwave covered on 70% power for about 14 minutes (stirring at regular intervals) or till the turnips are tender and the moisture has evaporated.
- Add the sugar and very lightly mash the cooked turnips.
Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Traditionally, grated jaggery is used instead of sugar.
- This dish can be enjoyed without mashing the turnips too!
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve immediately with: hot white rice or Indian bread (Roti).
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.