Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Style: North Indian Vegetarian (Kashmiri)
2 tablespoon(s) oil
500 grams (about 20 oz.) bottle gourd peeled, cut into roundels and washed
½ teaspoon(s) each of asafoetida
2 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
1 teaspoon(s) aniseed powder (saunf powder)
½ teaspoon(s) dry ginger powder
2 whole red chilli(es)
8 tablespoons water
salt to taste
2 cup(s) yoghurt beaten
1 teaspoon(s) hot spice mix (garam masala) powder
- Pat dry the bottle gourd roundels. Place them separated in a big microwave-safe dish greased with some oil. Sprinkle some oil on the bottle gourd roundels and microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 3 minutes (flipping them mid-way) till they are slightly browned on both sides. Keep aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix the oil with the cloves, asafoetida and cumin seeds. Microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 1 minute(s) or till the cumin seeds are a shade darker.
- Add the lightly fried bottle gourd roundels, aniseed powder, dry ginger powder, whole red chilli(es), salt and water. Mix well. Microwave on 70% power for about 12 minutes or till the bottle gourd roundels are tender.
- Now, mix in the beaten yoghurt and stir slowly till it has fully blended with the curry. Microwave covered on 50% power for about 3 minute(s). Mix in the garam masala powder and keep covered.
- Traditionally, the bottle gourd roundels are deep fried in hot oil on a gas stove till slightly browned in step 1.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve immediately with: hot white rice or Indian bread (Roti).
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.