|Change amount of garam masala to automatically recalculate ingredient amounts.|
(Range: 200-500 grams)
Cooking time (approx.): minutes
Garam Masala obtained: about 200 grams (about 8 oz.)
100 grams (about 4 oz.) coriander seeds
25 grams (about 1 oz.) each of cumin seeds and black pepper
15 grams (about ½ oz.) each of black cumin seeds (shahjeera) and dry ginger
6 grams (about ¼ oz.) each of black cardamoms and cloves
4 grams (about ¼ oz.) each of cinnamon and bay leaves
- Microwave all the ingredients (except dry ginger) in a large shallow dish on 80% power for about 2 minutes (stirring at least twice in every minute) or till the spices are lightly roasted and aromatic.
- Cool and dry grind to a powder along with the dry ginger.
- Store in an air tight bottle and use as required.
- Hot Spice Mix (Garam Masala) may be readily available off the shelf in Indian stores. Check for fresh stock.
- When the microwave cooking time for a step exceeds 2 minutes, it is highly recommended the contents be checked and stirred at regular intervals to avoid burning of food.
- Standing time is a very important step as it completes the microwave cooking process of a dish. Ideally, allow the dish to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
A suitable quantity of this Hot Spice Mix can be used as and when required for many recipes such as
Quick Okra (Jhatpat Bhindi),
Eggplant and Potato Curry (Vagan Bateta nu Shak), and
Bottle Gourd Yakhni (Al Yakhin).
Note: The above recipe is designed for a microwave oven of 800 Watts. Higher wattage microwave ovens will require shorter cooking times. Kindly refer to the manual accompanying your microwave oven for its wattage. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT ALL THE CARE AND PRECAUTIONS SPECIFIED IN THE OVEN MANUAL BE TAKEN DURING THE MICROWAVE COOKING PROCESS.
Disclaimer: Syvum makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the correctness of the content as well as the accuracy and use of the information included in the recipes. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Syvum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, implied warranties and fitness for a particular purpose. Syvum will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the recipes, including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.